K-1 Fiancée Visa
Requirements, Benefits, Limitations and Forms
The K-1 fiancée visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows an American citizen to bring a foreign fiancée to the United States for the purpose of marriage. If you are a United States citizen, your fiancée can file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for what is known as a K-1 visa.
For legal permanent residents (LPR’s) trying to bring their spouses over, the process is different. LPR’s are not eligible to get fiancée visas. Instead, they need to get married overseas and then petition immigration by filing what is known as an I-130 Form.
Benefits of the K-1 Visa
- K-1 visa holder has the ability to apply for a work permit, form I-765.
- Children named in the fiancée petition may travel to the U.S. on the K-2 visa, which is for dependents.
- Once approved, the I-129F fiancée petition is valid for 4 months.
- The K-1 visa holder has up to 3 months to marry the sponsor.
- If the marriage does not take place within 3 months, the fiancée visa holder must leave the U.S.
- The two applicants must have met in person within the last 2 years. However, there are exceptions to this for reasons such as if it is contrary to the customs or culture of the bride and groom.
- The marriage must take place within 90 days of entering the U.S.
- Once the marriage has taken place, an adjustment of status to permanent resident must be filed with USCIS.
- Proof must be given of an established relationship.
- Form I-129F, fiancée petition
- Form I-130, petition by a legal permanent resident for a fiancée visa
- A current passport valid for 6 months beyond the time limit of the K-1 visa
- Copy of your birth certificate
- If previously married, you will need copies of divorce papers, annulments or death certificates.
- Police certificate from places the foreign applicant has lived since age 16
- Medical examination documents
- Proof of financial support
- Two Non-immigrant Visa Applications, Form DS-156
- Form DS-156K, Non-immigrant Fiancée Visa Application
- Two non-immigrant visa photos
- Evidence of your relationship
Given the high stakes of the outcome of your K-1 visa application, it is important to understand your rights and your obligations under the law. If you are ready to begin the application process or have questions then, contact us today to schedule a call or a meeting. We are more than happy to call you wherever you are in the world at no cost to you.?