Are Canadians Required to obtain a Visa prior to Visit the United States?

Citizens of Canada traveling to the United States do not require a nonimmigrant visa, except for the travel purposes described below. Canadian citizens who are inadmissible to the United States under immigration law, or have previously violated the terms of their immigration status in the United States must apply for a visa and have the option of applying for a visa and a waiver at the US Port of Entry (CBP) or at the  nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate  if it is more convenient for them.


Canadians require nonimmigrant visas for temporary travel to the United States for these purposes:.

  • Foreign government officials (A); officials and employees of international organizations (G); and NATO officials, representatives, and employees assigned to the United States (NATO)
  • Treaty traders (E-1)
  • Treaty investors (E-2)
  • Fiancé(e)s (K-1)
  • Children of fiancé(e)s (K-2)
  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen traveling to the United States to complete the immigration process (K-3)
  • Children of a foreign citizen spouse (K-4) described above
  • Informant supplying critical information relating to a criminal organization (S-5)
  • Informant supplying critical information relating to terrorism (S-6)
  • Qualified family member (S-7) of an S-5 or S-6 visa holder described above


Permanent residents (landed immigrants) of Canada must have a nonimmigrant visa unless the permanent resident is a national of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the VWP requirements, and is seeking to enter the United States for 90 days or less under that program